Representational State Transfer Application Programming Interface (REST API)
A REST API is an API based on the REST architecture.
Components of a REST API
1. URIs should use nouns rather than verbs and should be in lowercase.
2. URIs should not end with a slash (/).
3. Hyphens should be used instead of underscores.
4. File extensions should not be included in URIs.
5. Actions should not be included in URIs.
RESTful refers to a system that follows the principles of REST. However, not all systems that use REST are RESTful.
A system can be considered RESTful if it follows the design rules of a REST API, and an API that performs all CRUD functions with POST or an API that does not follow the URI rules of a REST API can be considered a REST API but not RESTful.